PanchaKarma is a unique detoxification and rejuvenation protocol that only Ayurveda offers.
This detox regimen is particularly effective in getting rid of fat-soluble toxins such as heavy metals, pesticides, preservatives, food additives, pollutants, plastics, carcinogens, and other environmental chemicals. Panchakarma typically reduces these toxins by 50% without negative side effects. These fat-soluble toxins can eventually cause hormone disruption, immune system suppression, reproductive disorders, allergies, several types of cancer, and many chronic conditions. Chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, and arthritis are the most common diseases in the US, and all of them can be profoundly shifted by Panchakarma.
Pancha means “5” and Karma means “action”.
Panchakarma consists of five actions to uniquely cleanse the body of toxins, and of the imbalances in the function of the body and mind. The five actions include emesis, purgation, enema administration, nasal administration and blood-letting. A skilled ayurvedic practitioner uses any or all of these actions in a tailored way to bring clients back into balanced health in a period of 10 to 30 days.
According to studies of the National Institute of Health in 2002, the benefits of Panchakarma include:
· Decreases cholesterol, by lowering toxic lipid peroxide levels
· Decreased the rate of platelet clumping and thus lymphatic congestion
· Decreases 14 major toxic and cancer-causing chemicals from the body tissues
· Significantly raised the good HDL cholesterol
· Lowered diastolic blood pressure
· Reduces free radicals which are the leading cause of all disease
· Significant reduction in bodily complaints, irritability, bodily strain, psychological inhibition and emotional stability
· Decreased anxiety, aging and reduced doctor visits
The Cleanse involves eating easy to digest foods like cooked grains, vegetables and light protein with no oil for at least 8 days. The client takes increased amounts of a medicated oil for the first 4 days. This medicated oil causes the body to enter into a fat-metabolic state rather than the usual sugar metabolism state. The body goes into a fasting state and the toxins which get stored in the fat layer are released from the fat being metabolized into the bloodstream and ultimately into the GI tract. Either purgation or emesis or both are used to rid the body of the toxins.
Modern agriculture relies on chemicals to produce crops. These chemicals usually fall into two categories: hydrophilic or lipophilic. Hydrophilic chemicals dissolve in water, and lipophilic chemicals get stored in the fat layer in humans and animals. These well-designed therapies of Panchakarma eliminate the fat-soluble, lipophilic materials such as the carcinogenic toxins of modern industrial agriculture.
What Does Panchakarma do?
People who undergo the Panchakarma process once a year will have a much greater chance of shifting around current diseases and preventing future diseases. This is the only protocol that places a person in a relaxed state yet powerfully rids the body of fat-soluble toxins. Schedule an appointment here.
Vibrant Health Ayurveda and Yoga located near Boulder and Denver in Colorado is 1 of the few ayurvedic centers offering a full spectrum of Ayurveda, Yoga and Panchakarma services.
- Sharma H; Freedom from Disease. Toronto Veda Publishing, 1993
- Sharma HM, Midich SI, Sands D, Smith DE: Improvement in cardiovascular risk factors through Panchakarma purification procedures. J Res Educ Indian Med, 1993; 12(4); 2-13.
- Waldschutz R: Influence of Maharishi Ayurveda purification treatment on physiological and psychological health. Erfahrungsheilkunde-Acta medica empirica, 1988; 11; 720-729.
- .Salerno JW, Smith DE: The use of sesame oil and other vegeteable oilsi the inhibition of human colon cancer growth in vitro. Anticancer Res, 1991; 11; 209-216
- Smith DE, Salerno JW: Selective growth inhibition of a human malignant melanoma cell line by sesame oil in vitro. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes Essential Fatty Acids, 1992; 46; 145-150.
- Transcendental Meditation News October 2002